I CAN DO THIS MYSELF... OR CAN I?


 I love my work as an Interior Decorator! It's a priviledge which has provided more than 27 years of inspiration, learning, obstacles, frustrations, beauty and creativity beyond the possible! I'm a catalyst for change, joy and beautiful outcomes.

Since birth, I've experienced life through a finely focused "inner camera" that's constantly capturing details and images "photogenically" storing them in my mind. I am a "visual" learner that was never told "visual" learning is different than just "learning" and assumed that everyone meticulously studied every inch, down to the absolute smallest detail of their assigned "subject" or work. This has proven to be both a valuable skill and unwanted onus! 

My inner camera leaves me with a personal claim to a room after days and hours of selecting, adjusting, starting over, selecting again and getting it right! Although some see this as stupidity, torture and complete waste of valuable time, it's also extremely important in making their house a home!

Perhaps it's what enables me to remember, over the span of 27 years, with meticulous detail client names, number of family members, how many places they've lived, preferences in color and style, fabrics, personal accents, furniture, flooring and scope of their project.  Let me not forget, as well, the number of counseling sessions I led which somehow miraculously resulted in choices both mates could live with and in fact, LOVE!

Enter Case #1:  Working with sister, Kim. She happens to be one of the most respected, knowledgable and successful business owners in her industry! Handling entire corporate travel programs involving hundreds of people and details that only a magician could manage.... is just a normal day! However, when it comes to decorating her home, she looks to me for assistance (of which I'm thrilled!). I begin by chatting with her inwhich most answers to most inquiries are " I don't care. I just want you to pick it and handle it all". Wow, a Decorator's dream!  ... And so it begins!

Initially, I require my sister to accompany me to a paint or wallpaper store explaining that we all see color and pattern differently. It's important that I get an accurate idea of how she perceives those elements. No two sets of eyes see exactly the same color tint or shade. Well, we begin. I bring her a few books to peruse and I do the same. Sounds of huffing and puffing start to emerge. She shows me a few pages which she inquires "would this work"? Then, usually about 15 minutes in at the most... the statement that is signature Kim. "I hate this! I don't want to do this, that's why I hired you" ! Why would I want to do this all the time? How do you have the patience to spend valuable time opening and closing books for hours with no guarantee you'll find what you're looking for! My answer, " I .....don't really know!"

Did you know the average person will spend less than 30 minutes at a time on the tasks of searching, finding, selecting and agreeing on the right choices for their project. I believe that each and every person knows what they like and what they don't. Their need is selecting the best option for them and putting it all together for awesome results.

Sadly, the vast majority of our population have never utilized the services of a Design Professional. In fact, the Design Professional industry often get's a "bad rap" because of a few generally "unfounded" beliefs. "They're too expensive, will use up all our money with nothing to show for it, are only good at the decorating style for which they're known, use a huge markup and recommend items based on their own profit margin". 
Can you relate?

As an experienced, credible, customer oriented Decorator, I find those presumptions tragic and very disheartening! I will ask "how did your last experience in making difficult choices amongst numerous options work for you"? If not a fruitful endeavor then... "I guess you like being insane"? LOL Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. The task of knowing when you need help and then asking for it can be a surprisingly difficult action which usually leads to a wonderful experience. Why did I wait so long?  Answer: Well, you did because you were insane and now you're not, congratulations!  LOL

The top 2 reasons why a person will seek out & hire a Design Professional are:

#1 Choosing Paint Colors -You've invested hours and hours spending a fortune on numerous quarts of paint while wasting a full tank of gas traveling back and forthjust to simply get the right color! Excuse me.... did you say "simply"?
#2 Selecting Kitchen, Bathroom and Light finishes/fixtures-You've searched and searched through options to no avail. You're significant other who loathed the idea of participating in this task from the beginning has now declared release of any responsibility... to you!

What is the moral of my "eloquent" writings ?
Decorating & Design can be a wonderfully magical, fulfilling and difficult experience!  Be an educate consumer, familiarize yourself with options for seeking assistance (as there are many), interview professionals, Request a tour of 2 or 3 of their most recent projects, obtain a reference list of their continued clientele (you'll be surprised at customer's willingness to give honest feedback)!  Ask yourself do I find them credible, creative, personable and affordable with the budget I have? Is this someone I can be "married" to for a period of time?

I'm confident the answers you find, will be exactly the ones you need!  Give it a try, you'll be astounded :-)

Blessings,
Karla