A Sister's Love...

Heal the Wound but leave the Scar... as written by my "little sister" Robyn.

Back in the 90's & early 2000's I listened to "Point of Grace" nearly every day of my life.
Their song Heal the Wound always touched something deep inside of me...the tension between wanting to deny the scars that exist in my life and accepting them as gifts from God.

The chorus of that song paints such a vivid picture of God's mercy:
Heal the wound but leave the scar
A reminder of how merciful You are
I am broken, torn apart
Take the pieces of this heart
And heal the wound but leave the scar.

Jump ahead to 2012 and the words penetrate even deeper...
My sister, Karla, endured open heart surgery last August and has been adjusting to her new "normal" ever since.

In April we celebrated her 50th birthday, or more precisely we celebrated 18,264 days of life.
I captured her and her beautiful kids that weekend. A lovely family celebrating all that God has done.

In the midst of our shoot, she said "Robb, get a picture of my scar." We giggled about how weird it might be, but it is a significant marker of her life. So I did. And now the image of my sister's scar makes the lyrics of Heal the Wound so deeply personal.

I pray every time she sees the image she'll be reminded of just how merciful God has been to her. He alone takes 18,264 days of brokeness, heals the wound and leaves the scar!